![]() |
| Xiao Qin and I on Bei Da Lu, the street where we live, posing on our friend Chen Chen's electric bike. |
There are many excuses I guess I could forward as to why I haven’t updated this blog in a couple of months, despite the much appreciated urging of friends in another hemisphere, but as was the case last time I put pen to paper I am perhaps guilty of being just a little lazy!
| Xiao Qin and I enjoy a Chinese only tour of Kai Feng for 30p |
The main developments since my last blog update is that I am now, and indeed - as some of you already know - have been since September, in a very happy relationship, that I have moved to a new apartment and that over Chinese New Year I travelled around Henan and Shaanxi.
I don’t really feel, even in our age of seemingly unquestioned social media hegemony, that this is an appropriate medium to provide a detailed account as to how we two between an item, albeit a delightful tale, or indeed to digress about why Lin Qin (Xiao Qin [small Qin] for short or Jenny in English) has made me so happy – suffice to say that she has!
I moved apartment just before Christmas and have now settled in to what is a very comfortable new apartment. There is no hot water in the kitchen – seemingly a Chinese domestic luxury on par with an indoor swimming pool – but otherwise it has every convenience one would expect from a Western apartment. I have to pay a little extra each month for the privilege but it only equates to around one hour of private tuition a week so I figured it was a sound investment.
I am somewhat overwhelmed by the 120 or so television channels I now have at my disposal although, with only a single channel broadcasting in English, I seldom find myself spending hours scrolling up and down the channels. There are two rather amusing shows that often take my fancy. Firstly, the a hugely popular dating game show on every Saturday and Sunday night for 90 minutes 非诚勿扰 / fēi chéng wù rǎo - if not sincere then do not disturb. It is a far cry from Cilla’s Blind Date, back in the days when I used to watch ITV, with an altogether more serious attitude demonstrated by both men and women alike. It is, at times, more like watching a series of mini job interviews with contestants emphasising their career prospects, appreciation of culture and healthy bodies – seldom portraying themselves as loveable party animals as was exclusively the case as I recall on Cilla’s Blind Date. The format is so simple that you don’t need to understand everything that is being said to enjoy watching the programme and as every other moment someone or other is introducing themselves it is very good listening practice.
![]() |
| Screen shots from hit TV show Fei Cheng Wu Rao |
| Xiao Qin's parents tuck into my Mao Shi Hong Shao Rou! |
I didn’t have to work on Christmas Day as our school was closed but seemingly everyone else in Fuzhou did. You can quickly be forgiven for thinking it’s not Christmas day when the morning rush hour is still in operation, your usual breakfast restaurant is open and you spend the afternoon buying plants and two turtles! Xiao Kai and Xie Xie, our friends from Xiamen, came to stay with us over the festive period which was great and on Christmas Day itself we hosted a big dinner party which featured among several Chinese dishes, including jellyfish as I recall, an Irish stew – to remind me of home. It went down well eaten as it was like a soup!
It is hard, obviously, when you look at the clock and surmise that your brother is probably now dragging the quilt of your parent’s bed and flinging them kicking and screaming down to the living room in their dressing gowns to witness the opening of his presents but alas that was always going to be the case. I guess I should just feel lucky that what with the wonders of modern technology I was able to communicate, like a long lost friend on This is Your Life, via Satellite link and see the whole family including my bemused grandmother!
Chinese New Year really is quite incredible. It is, like Christmas, a time when families get together. However, whereas in the UK families get together for a day or two and then, sick of each other, go back to the shops or to work, in China, they get together for two whole weeks! I don’t know the extent to which they get sick of each other but as half the time they’ve travelled for about 15 hours to get home they hardly going to walk out because some ate the last coffee-cream. On the street where I live I estimate that 75% of business remained shut for the entire two weeks of Chinese New Year. In the UK you see people on Christmas Eve buying so much food that you’d think the shops were shut for weeks when they’re barely shut for a weekend – I’d hate to some of those people cope over here!
| Christmas Day in China. Note the amount of clothes required for an indoor social gathering! |
| Lao Ba and I engage in a spot of friendly sparring after dinner! |
| In Fuzhou an apartment seldom have central heating so thermal undergarments were the way forward. |
| Jolene (Chao Meng) and I pose for a traditional photograph in Shang Jie - her hometown. |
Xiao Qin and I spent Chinese New Year travelling the northern provinces of Henan and Shaanxi. They were seriously cold but, with heating in a majority though not all of our hotels, bearable! In a hostel in Luoyang I had thermal undergarments, trousers, about half a dozen layers, a blanket, a coat and Xiao Qin and we were still frozen – still, an experience!
We flew into Zhengzhou – the capital of Henan and a transportation hub for northern China. It is not a beautiful city by any means but it does feature the pyramid-like Henan museum which brilliantly demonstrated the cultural and historic importance of that part of China. It certainly revealed my ignorance of Chinese history and no doubt left many of the locals feeling much the same judging by their faces! The main reason of our passing through Zhengzhou was the opportunity to meet up with one of my Chinese friends from the UK, Jolene, and, perhaps more importantly, attend her grandfather’s birthday party!
| Jolene's grandfather blows out the candles on his birthday cake - a cake that was eaten before dinner! |
| Xiao Qin and I pose just like my mother and her colleague Francesca did in 2010. |
| I was planning on using firearms at the Longmen Grottoes so it was a real disappointment to see that they were specifically outlawed. |
| Xiao Qin and I across the river from the Longmen Grottoes - the only standpoint that really gives any scale to the enormity of the spectacle. |
It was most entertaining if a little disturbing to watch loads of children fighting each other, smashing pieces of metal on their foreheads and wedging both feet behind their heads before pushing out a few press ups! It’s definitely a must see place if you like Kung Fu movies. The old town in Luoyang was also very nice. Whereas in Shanghai, Hangzhou, Fuzhou and Xi’an the old parts of the town has been rebuilt to look old but are in fact often very new and often feature a cheeky McDonald’s or Starbucks the old streets in Luoyang were very authentic. How long, we found ourselves pondering, before they stick a KFC next to that castle?
| Jason of Kai Feng and I holding the relevant pages of the 2011 edition of Lonely Planet China. |


Sooo lovely to hear all your tales and adventures and to see you so obviously happy and content. Can't wait to meet the lovely lady - I'm saving all my pennies to see if I can get to see you before you come back!
ReplyDeletelots of love
Phyllis